The Creative Compass Program provides extra supports and resources to emerging administrators. This arts leadership development program helps assistant principals expand their leadership skills and arts experience, while scaffolding their professional learning on how to make healthy arts choices that impact achievement for their schools and to move up the Creative Schools Certification ladder.
The Creative Compass impacts school leaders’ ability to:
- build leadership teams for the arts from the school community,
- create school-based strategic plans for the arts, and
- implement the school’s strategic plan for the arts.
Creative Compass has three main components to achieve the program’s goals:
- Training modules to establish, scaffold, expand, and sustain arts education programs in schools and impact achievement across subject areas;
- Peer-to-Peer Professional Development that pairs assistant principals with current and retired principals from selected schools with strong arts leadership practices;
- One-on-one observation, training and support from CPS Department of Arts Education staff and partners.
Creative Compass participants will receive:
- one-on-one mentoring and coaching from CPS Principals and the Department of Arts Education
- additional arts and cultural partnerships for the school,
- Illinois Administrators Academy credits (pending)
- engagement with other emerging school leaders at schools across CPS,
- site visits and invitations to performances, exhibitions, and artists’ studios, and
- eligibility for additional funding for the arts, including Arts Essentials and/or Creative Schools Fund grants.
Click Here to download the 2016-17 Creative Compass Guide.