The Department of Arts Education would like to thank Laura Johnson from Glenbard North High School in Carol Stream! She generously indexed and donated over 30 boxes of choral sheet music and music curricular materials to Chicago Public Schools. Teachers and schools will be able to borrow these materials district-wide, and we wanted to recognize Laura’s incredible charity!
Click for more information
Please review the proposed new Illinois Arts Learning Standards
Apply for an opportunity to expand and grow your leadership in the arts! The Creative Compass Program helps assistant principals expand their leadership skills and arts experience.
ARTS FOR STUDENT ACADEMIC AND BEHAVIORAL SUCCESS
Monday August 29th or Tuesday August 30th
For All CPS Licensed/Endorsed Arts Teachers:
The Arts Education Back to School PD is a one-day professional learning event hosted on two different days. Arts teachers can choose which day works best for them and their schools. This PD will provide an opportunity to understand:
- Arts as a Tier 1 strategy in the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework,
- To see what the arts as a Tier 1 strategy look like in the classroom,
- To plan how the arts as a Tier 1 strategy would work in their school or classroom on a practical level.
Keynote Speaker Dr. Bettina Love from the University of Georgia, will provide practical examples of the arts as a Tier 1 strategy to prepare teachers for success in achieving the following outcomes:
- Identifying how the arts support the components of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support as a Tier 1 strategy,
- Giving voice to students’ authentic experiences through arts learning supports their academic, social and emotional, and health/wellness education and success, and
- Practicing classroom strategies that give voice to students’ authentic experiences through quality questioning/discussion techniques (as referenced in CPS Framework for Teaching 3b).
Dates, Times, Registration, and Location
- Monday August 29, 2016 from 8:30am – 3:00pm Learning Hub Class Code: 65025
- Tuesday August 30, 2016 from 8:30am – 3:00pm Learning Hub Class Code: 65139
The Location in Learning Hub is currently listed as Lyric Opera of Chicago, however the final location has NOT YET BEEN DETERMINED. Communication will be sent to all registrants once a location has been finalized. Thank you for your understanding.
Learning Hub Instructions
- Go to cps.edu/learninghub and sign in.
- In the center of the Welcome page, there is a box titled “Search for Learning”. Enter the Learning Hub Class Code in the search box, and hit the (>>) button.
- Two options will appear. Choose which date you would like to attend (8/29/16 or 8/30/16) and click on the corresponding “Enroll” button.
- Complete your registration, and you will receive an email notification with successful enrollment.
Now that school budgets have been released, this is the time to #KeepTheArts in our Chicago Public Schools. Please view the video created by our partner organization, Ingenuity Chicago.
CHICAGO JAZZ FESTIVAL
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 3, 2016
Chicago Community Trust – Roof Top Jazz
(at the Harris Theater Rooftop Terrace, Millennium Park)
11:30 – 12:00 Lenart and Harold Washington Elementary School Jazz Combos
12:15 – 12:45 Jones College Prep Jazz Combo
1:00 – 1:30 Whitney Young Magnet High School Jazz Combo
2:00 – 2:40 Curie High School Jazz Ensemble
2:55 – 3:35 Pritzker College Prep Jazz Ensemble
3:50 – 4:30 Kenwood Academy Jazz Ensemble
Come out this Labor Day weekend to support our CPS musicians!