To support collaboration between teachers and arts education partners, Ingenuity and the CPS Department of Arts Education will co-present the 4th annual Arts Education Conference in SY2020-21. We are thrilled to once again provide an opportunity for Chicago’s arts educators to grow in new understanding, build and share their skills, and develop the vital relationships that allow our individual and shared work to flourish and thrive.
This year’s Arts Education Conference will be held on FRIDAY, APRIL 16TH, 2021. Further details are forthcoming.
ARCHIVE: 2020 Arts Education Conference Virtual Keynote and Student Panel
In lieu of the full annual Arts Education Conference, the CPS Department of Arts Education and Ingenuity presented a livestream of the Conference’s keynote speaker, Jorge Lucero, Associate Professor of Art Education in the School of Art + Design at the University of Illinois. Following his presentation on the amplification of essential voices in the arts, Jorge was joined by a panel of CPS students for further discussion and a live Q&A session.
Watch the Livestream and Access Event Resources
Download or view other resources from the event:
- Event slides presented by the Department of Arts Education & Ingenuity
- Keynote slides accompanying Jorge Lucero’s presentation
- “Why the Arts?” video created by the CPS Arts Student Voice Committee
Clock Hour/CPDU Information for Teachers
- Teachers from district-managed CPS schools have been marked as attended in Learning Hub. Attendees should log into Learning Hub and go to “My Learning” to complete the online ISBE survey in order to receive 1.5 clock hours.
- Charter/contract/options teachers received an ISBE evaluation via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Attendees should have completed and returned this form by May 22, 2020 in order to receive an Evidence of Completion form. If you are a charter/contract/options teacher and you have questions about receiving credit, please email email@example.com.
Livestream Speaker and Panel Moderator: Jorge Lucero
Jorge Lucero, Associate Professor of Art Education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Jorge Lucero is a Chicago artist who currently serves as Associate Professor of Art Education at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. A former Chicago Public School teacher, his art practice has occurred all over the US and abroad. Jorge is the editor of the compendium Mere and Easy: Collage as a Critical Practice in Pedagogy (U of I Press) and the co-author of Teacher as Artist-in-Residence (Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts), as well as the forthcoming STUDYCOLLECTION: Repository for Conviviality (Candor Arts). Jorge earned his undergraduate degree from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and his graduate degrees from Penn State University.
More information about Jorge and his work can be found at www.jorgelucero.com.