The Arts Essentials Grant Program provides funds to all schools that have achieved a Creative Schools Certification and have a current CPS Arts Liaison. Schools receive $2,000 (Category 1-Excelling) or $1,000 (Category 2, 3, or 4). This data is compiled every Spring, analyzed over the Summer, and funds are provided to schools in the subsequent late Fall. Schools do not need to apply for an Arts Essentials grant.
ARTS ESSENTIALS SPENDING GUIDELINES
Arts Essentials grants are administered through the CPS Department of Arts Education and must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The current spending freeze DOES NOT affect Arts Essentials spending! Please view this letter explaining in more detail: “Arts Essentials and Spending Freeze” guidance pdf
- Purchase orders using Arts Essentials funds must be opened by March 31, 2017. Unspent funds will be swept from schools’ budgets on April 30, 2017. Remaining balances with vendors will become the responsibility of the school to pay out.
- Arts Essentials funding can only be spent on materials, supplies, and equipment for visual art, music, dance, and/or theatre programming or instruction DURING the school day.
- Purchases made that are outside of the terms of the grant will be flagged and may jeopardize future Arts Essentials funding to the school.
- The Principal, Arts Liaison, and arts staff should work together to identify the area(s) of greatest need in the arts.
- Spending must follow CPS rules and guidelines.
For more details on Purchasing Guidelines, check out these documents:
Arts Essentials Purchasing Guide (for District-Managed Schools)
Frequently Purchased Arts Materials
Strategic Source Vendor List (discounted pricing for CPS)
Listing of All CPS Vendors
Invoice Submission (Paperless Invoice Memo)
Principal Notification Letter (pdf)
Arts Essentials and Spending Freeze (guidance pdf)
or Contact the CPS Department of Arts Education at creativeschools [at] cps [dot] edu